Will Harry die?

Have you heard something on the grapevine about Harry and friends? Share it here...go on, let us know too!

Moderators: Q.Araignee, Broccoli, Tanuki

Will Harry die?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes : 117

Postby wildchild123 » Sunday 3 April 2005 10:42:08pm

I hope he won't and authors never usually kill of the main charactors.
wildchild123
Second Year

Postby Cedric » Sunday 3 April 2005 11:12:49pm

JKR is definatly different. I think she'll kill off plenty more characters before the story ends. If she does kill him, he won't die until the very very end of the book because all the books are based on Harry's perspective.
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Broccoli » Monday 4 April 2005 12:37:30pm

wildchild123 wrote:authors never usually kill of the main charactors.

oh, you can find lots of examples where they actually do! They even manage to kill off the character who tells the story, so...
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby Hagger 9003 » Tuesday 5 April 2005 7:55:24pm

if harry does die, it will be at the end of the books, because LV, being the main bad guy, will die at the end of the books, at the climax, and harry will have to be alive to vanquish him. so, that would mean that harry will be alive until the end of book 7. however, i dont think DD will die too early on. in book 7, to add to hte climax. harry will lose DD.
Hagger 9003
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Mistress Siana » Friday 8 April 2005 12:32:53am

Broccoli wrote:
oh, you can find lots of examples where they actually do! They even manage to kill off the character who tells the story, so...

Have you watched King Arthur? :lol:
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Cedric » Friday 8 April 2005 6:52:29pm

Which King Arthur? The newest one? Yeah, some of the main characters in that are killed off. I think like 3 or 4 are...I don't remember. Or in 'First Knight', King Arthur was killed. Thats two examples of books and movies right there where the main characters are killed off, but its still a very good storyline!!
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Hagger 9003 » Sunday 10 April 2005 11:55:16am

i dont kno about this. whether harry dies or not depends on the final confrontation with voldie. if harry dies in that, then yes. if not, i dont see how else he can die without it being a really corny ending. but i dont kno how the final confrontation will go. mayb harry will sacrifice himself. i dont kno.
Hagger 9003
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Cedric » Monday 11 April 2005 3:22:06am

Harry sacrificing himself would be the heroic thing to do wouldn't it. Maybe DD will be killed by Voldemort and then Harry, being saved by him, pulls up enough strength to finish him off or something to that effect. There are oh so many possibilities!!
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Broccoli » Monday 11 April 2005 10:21:10am

Mistress Siana wrote:
Broccoli wrote:

Have you watched King Arthur? :lol:

Not recently, no! I was actually thinking of "Im Westen nichts Neues" by Remarque. I was so angry with the author because I was sure the main character won't die - he's telling the story after all... and then the last paragraph goes: he was killed on such and such date... That's not fair!
Broccoli

Postby Mistress Siana » Thursday 14 April 2005 1:56:37am

I've only seen the movie, unfortunately, but the ending (with the butterfly, if you've seen the movie) was haunting. I was shocked, too, but I think that's a good example of a death of the main character. In King Arthur (the most recent one), the character to tell the story dies somewhere in between and still continues to narrate...if that isn't a bad style!

I'm more and more thinking that Harry dies in the end. JKR too often repeats that we shouldn't be all too certain that Harry survives the series. I don't know, I can't really describe it, but there is this slight undertone in her interviews that tells me so...hm. To me, Harry seems like a book to be closed...And, "they lived happily ever after" is just a strange and unfitting end to the series, at least in my opinion. I wish I had a logical and well analysed theory, but it's just my stomach that tells me so.
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Broccoli » Thursday 14 April 2005 10:19:22am

There is this series on the Austrian TV now, The Desperate Housewives. The story teller dies at the very beginning of episode 1 and continues to narrate! I find it interesting!

As for Harry - yes, JK keeps saying that we shouldn't be so positive about Harry surviving and that's why I actually started to think about his death.
Broccoli

Postby Amber » Friday 15 April 2005 12:32:43pm

You can only hope that he will survive.. but it would feel strange if he have been doing all these crazy things and then just died in the end.. it doesn´t feel right some how.. Oo well what happens, happens. :-?
Amber
Second Year

Postby meggs » Saturday 16 April 2005 7:27:09pm

how bout it jk makes the ending one of those cliff-hanger endings, she could end it where the reading has closure in knowing that voldie was defeated but whether harry dies is left unknown...that'd be kinda cool, cuz then the reader can choose what he/she wants
meggs
Squib

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Monday 16 May 2005 6:49:57am

Maybe she's gonna leave it where we know that Harry will die in the future. Say he's got a curse on him or something to die in a year etc.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Tanuki » Monday 16 May 2005 4:59:10pm

I don't think we need another Chrno Crusade ending
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

PreviousNext

Return to Rumours