Potential Future Death in Book 6 or 7 (spoilers)

Have you heard something on the grapevine about Harry and friends? Share it here...go on, let us know too!

Moderators: Q.Araignee, Broccoli, Tanuki

Postby Tuima » Wednesday 13 August 2003 9:19:16pm

I totally agree w/ Violet! Let's see some of those nasty folk suffer! I also agree that if DD dies, it wouldn't be until the seventh book, 'cause if he did die, it would be a climax-type scene, and JK wouldn't have two books in a row ending with Harry losing a big support and going back to Privet Drive all depressed. :( I mean, give him a break! And you gotta have DD there at the end to explain things and prepare us for the next book. My opinion is that DD WILL die, but prolly not until the climax of book 7, maybe sacrificing himself to give Harry a chance, :crying: :-? ?
Tuima
Fourth Year

Postby Mumbleberry » Thursday 14 August 2003 2:45:55pm

Alas! It's the Second War; casualties are going to up in a way we've never seen before. Following my top marks in Divination exams, I would proffer the following lists:

Moribund: Hagrid, at least one Weasley, Dumbledore (end of book 6/start of book 7 - H needs to outgrow his father-figures), Sibyl Trelawney, Neville's Gran or Luna's Dad, Peter Pettigrew, at least one previously annoying female student.

Non-moribund: Draco, Luna, Snape, Neville

Death unnecessary - they've got a nasty enough time coming up: Harry, Lupin, Ron.

Admittedly in being this specific I'm going out on a limb somewhat. But I'm fairly sure those numbers are actually going to approach double figures.
Mumbleberry
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Potential Deaths in Books 6/7

Postby Just Mom » Friday 15 August 2003 5:10:06am

I do not think Hagrid will die! While as some have suggested, he may not seem to be an integral part of the plot, he's an exceptionally strong supporting character, and just so darn lovable that there's no way JKR will traumatize all those 9-12 year olds with his death. No way. And he's got "dependents" now to look after with the introduction of his brother.

I had earlier been suspicious that DD would be a likely death in book 7, but I may revise that a bit. Perhaps DD, is a little like the biblical figure of Elijah and instead of technically "dying," will be taken up in a chariot drawn by thestrals(sp) when the time comes. His character is always so in control of himself, every decision is calculated yet his humility remains intact. I would imagine that the powers that be, (JKR) may allow him to be in control of how and when he wants to exit this world.
:)
Just Mom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Deep South, USA and wishing for snow at least once before March.

Postby Charis » Friday 15 August 2003 8:14:09pm

thats a good sounding idea, rev mom! I like it. i hope if she did that, though, it wouldn't sound too merlinsh. like, merlin (in the old King A legends) didn't actually die in some versions, just disappeared for a while and theoretically could come back. and, gandalf in LOTR didn't actually die either, just left and could come back basically whenever he was needed. i think, though, that JK could pull off your idea and have it be very original and good.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Potential Deaths in Books 6 and 7

Postby Just Mom » Friday 15 August 2003 10:46:41pm

Ah Charis, spoken like a true lady of the lake...
I hadn't thought about Merlin, but as much as JKR seems to borrow (as all writers do) from mythology, it just wouldn't surprise me at all if she let DD's end be grand and graceful and open-ended. And like you mentioned with Gandalf, he didn't actually die, he sort of transcended to a new level right? (I'm not a LOTR expert so Tolkienites please don't attack my feeble analysis there)

In my mind's eye, I think I could see JKR, pen in hand, with her DD before her, asking him how he would like to make his exit when the time comes. I'm sure, he would peer over his glasses at her and his reply would be very clever. She owes him that don't you think? He is such a wonderful character after all.
Just Mom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Charis » Saturday 16 August 2003 10:20:54pm

you know what, I can totally see JK and DD having that conversation! he will go down in history as the greatest of all wizards with long white beards, with a wonderful exiting of this world, creative and graceful and of his own choosing! :)

I believe you're right about Gandalf, though I must admit I'm not a Tolkein expert either. my dad is though, and I think Gandalf sort of exitied to the heaven type place of Tolkein's world (he was the equivalent of an angel i think) and came back greater, like the head angel (which saruman used to be).
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Colin » Saturday 16 August 2003 11:08:39pm

Gandalf was the guardian of the Middle Earth. He was also a Ring Bearer. In the end, he sailed with the Elves to the West. A nebulous ending.
Colin
The Grey Ghost

Postby Devinci » Sunday 17 August 2003 12:15:32am

Gandalf was a Maia, just like Saurmon and Sauron...he came from the east into the west, unlike some other wizards (the blue wizards) And since Sauron was "exiled" from the order of the wizards, Gandalf (being the super-duper cool guy he is) got the be head honcho.

Gandalf sort of illustrated god's hand on earth. Because the Maia are second to the Valar, which are the great beings living in Valinor (the Grey Havens "across the sea" where the elves go...and select others)

So I guess Maia could be considered angels...though a lot of those angels are...not so good. *If I remember correctly, I believe the Balrog was a Maia as well...*

I don't think anyone in JK's book is quite at Gandalf's level, neither is the plot of Harry Potterthat, intense (not that it's not good...it's just not a lifelong study...) So, though I hate to say it, I don't think anyone will be pulling a Gandalf *come back whenever, die, come back again...die some more...and so on...* Unless JK has some SERIOUS plot changing in mind. :)
Devinci
Hugger of Trees and Saver of Whales

Potential Deaths in 6 and 7

Postby Just Mom » Sunday 17 August 2003 12:16:43am

Thank you for the cool stuff about Gandalf. I knew he had sailed away at the end of the story (doesn't Frodo do this too?) but I had forgotten he was also a ring bearer.

If I tell you that I knew Galadriel was Arwen's grandmother would you be impressed?
Just Mom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Charis » Monday 18 August 2003 10:20:24pm

aha.... well...i don't know all the fancy names and i forgot he sailed to the west... but i sort of got the general kind of idea, right? :razz: maybe i should learn my Tolkein a bit better. just out of curiosity, does anyone know elvish??? some of my friends do and i think it would be cool to learn. sorry thats so off topic... maybe i should be seting a better example as the mod?? oh well....

but, to make myself feel less guilty, i do agree with you, Devinci, about Harry Potter not being on the same level as LotR, and as Dumbledore's only a *human* wizard, i doubt he will be able to come back like Gandalf. perhaps we won't even see him die in the sereis, maybe it's just sort of implied. either way (him just leaving this world when he chooses, or his death being simply implied) it would be less harsh than an abrupt death. but, the thing i don't want most, is a dramatic death-bed scene. those are rather overdone.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Just Mom » Tuesday 19 August 2003 3:23:02am

Like say, a dramatic death-bed scene with Madame Pomfrey hovering nearby? And perhaps Peeves and Sir Nicholas waiting eagerly to welcome him to the next level of the great beyond? :lol: I'm kidding..
Just Mom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Charis » Wednesday 20 August 2003 9:22:09pm

yep, exactly!!! or like... it just Harry and DD and DD's lying down and telling Harry between gasps that he has a sister or something! and together they can defeat Voldemort, who is actually their father... :grin: :lol:
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Colin » Wednesday 20 August 2003 9:56:10pm

Yes! Get ALL the great stories in there!

Frodo is standing over DD's bed, watching him die. Luke Skywalker beams down and wispers to DD: "There is another".

Harry asks Frodo "What does that mean?". Frodo responds "Here, take this ring and run like hell!"

Harry's sister, Myrtle moans.

LV arrives and throws his hands into the air and says "I give up! I am NOTHING compared to the Emporor".

Harry marries Hermione with Ron and Luke as co-best men. Somewhere a white dragon slays Draco, just for fun.

The Ende
Colin
The Grey Ghost

Freaky

Postby Colin » Wednesday 20 August 2003 11:24:52pm

Lord of the Rings takes Harry Potter record
20/08/2003 - 14:53:29

Pre-release sales of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers have broken all records at Amazon.

The internet retailer says over 50,000 pre-orders have been taken ahead of the video and DVD's UK release on Tuesday, August 26.

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets was the previous record-holder, with 40,000 pre-orders in April.

Released in cinemas in December 2002, The Two Towers has so far taken over £576m (€825m) around the world.

"It has well and truly knocked Potter off the top spot, and there are still six days to go until the release date," said Amazon media products director Greg Hart.

The DVD version comes in a two-disc package, which includes a preview of the third Lord of the Rings movie, Return Of The King, which is due out in December this year.
Colin
The Grey Ghost

Postby Just Mom » Thursday 21 August 2003 1:18:05am

Oh Colin you know Harry can't marry Hermione because she will be his sister! (Luke and Leia, Harry and Hermione)

Yes, I am one of those counting the days to the release of The Two Towers. As a grown woman it is easier to have a fantasy life around Aragorn than it is a teenager like Harry!

I'm holding out though for the platinum edition to be released in November.
Just Mom
Fully Qualified Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Rumours