Languages Thread

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Jotomicron » Wednesday 10 March 2004 7:35:51pm

Well, mine is, as far as I know, very "standard". The principal keys are:

\1234567890'«
qwertyuiop
asdfghjklç
<zxcvbbnm,.-

As you can see, there is ç at the end of the second row (third, if you count the numbers' row).
Then, I have the accents and tilde (¨, ´, `, ^, and ~) next to the retun key, and have no umlaut. oh, and the "E" key also has the € character.
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Amon Rê » Wednesday 10 March 2004 9:08:24pm

VERY interesting...I don't have any accents, I do have a tilde key(~) key but most others, I have to enter the codes through my number pad...thankfully I keep that handy cause if I didn't, typing my Spanish work would be a pain :-D
Amon Rê
Dreamer of Dreams, Registered Animagus (Snow Owl) and Ambassador from the Isle of Dreams

Postby Broccoli » Thursday 11 March 2004 4:39:10pm

Amon Rê, I still don't know where you are from... :-)
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby Amon Rê » Thursday 11 March 2004 8:34:28pm

Oh, sorry, I always forget where I post what :oops: I'm from North Carolina...
Amon Rê
Dreamer of Dreams, Registered Animagus (Snow Owl) and Ambassador from the Isle of Dreams

Postby AngelicS_89 » Thursday 11 March 2004 8:58:16pm

Beluka,no I'm not from Germany,I just like German language...
This is my keyboard

`1234567890'+ж
љњертзуиопшђ
асдфгхјклчћ
ѕџцвбнм,.-

~!"#$%&/()=?*Ж
ЉЊЕРТЗУИОПШЂ
АСДФГХЈКЛЧЋ
ЅЏЦВБНМ;:_

This is Cyrillic-Serbian keyboard and this one is Latin-Serbian:

‚1234567890'+ž
qwertzuiopšđ
asdfghjklčć
yxcvbnm,.-

~!"#$%&/()=?*Ž
QWERTZUIOPŠĐ
ASDFGHJKLČĆ
YXCVBNM;:_
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Fool on the hill » Friday 12 March 2004 8:43:09pm

Maybe I should start buying one keyboard in each country I get to visit... would be a nice hobby, wouldn't it? :grin:

My keyboard:

^1234567890ß´
qwertzuiopü+
asdfghjklöä#
<yxcvbnm,.-
Fool on the hill
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Galateia » Sunday 14 March 2004 4:58:04pm

My keyboard looks like this:
´§1234567890+
qwertyuiopå¨
asdfghjklöä'
<zxcvbnm,.-

There's å between p and ¨ because I'm finnish. We don't use å, but swedish is our second official language and å is quite common in Sweden.

Moi! Minä olen 13-vuotias tyttö Helsingistä ja luen paljon kirjoja. Olen myös paljon internetissä keskustelemassa kirjoista ja elokuvista. Minulla on vaaleat hiukset, siniharmaat hiukset enkä ole kauhean pitkä.

Did you understand it? It's Finnish. :D
Galateia
Second Year

Postby Jotomicron » Wednesday 17 March 2004 2:32:55pm

Everything I understood was:

Hello [I guess]! I'm 13 years old... live in Helsikia (sp).

As for the rest... pretty non-understandable... Hehe

Could you translate,please? and maybe tells us something about finnish?
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Galateia » Thursday 18 March 2004 4:04:43pm

Hello! I'm 13-year-old girl from Helsinki and I read books a lot. i spend my time on the Internet, where I discuss about books and films. I have blond hair, blue-grey eyes and I'm not very tall.
I noticed that I had written "vaaleat hiukset ja siniharmaat hiukset" but the other 'hiukset' should be 'silmät'. Little spelling mistake...

Tolkien studied finnish and he actually read Kalevala in our language. I don't know the exact word, but Kalevala is like Iliad & Odysseia in Greece. It's full of poems, but they are very difficult to understand. I'm afraid, that we have to read it in school some day. :eek: Tolkien's other elvish language, Quenya, sounds like finnish, actually. :grin:
Almost all Finnish words end to a vowel and sometimes we've just took the english word and put 'i' to the end. Bank-pankki, bar-baari, banana-banaani, dollar-dollari, tiger-tiikeri. Pronouncion is hard to explain because it differs from English so much. We say every letter, so for example, 'a' is always pronounced like 'a' in aisle. If there's 'aa' then it's just longer, like 'a' in scar.
Galateia
Second Year

Postby Avalon-Queen » Monday 5 April 2004 11:03:20pm

Olá! O meu nome é Avalon-Queen.
Fluentemente, eu só sei falar/ler/escrever português e inglês. Sei algumas coisas de francês, como escrever, sei ler bem e percebo muito bem o que me dizem em francês. Sei falar espanhol, mas não sei escrever. Sei algumas coisas de Irlandês Gaélico, mas ainda estou no início.

Translation:
Hello! My name is Avalon-Queen.
Fluentely, I only know how to speek/read/write portuguese and english. I know a few things in french, such as write, I know how to read and I understand it very well. I know how to speek spanish, but I don't know how to write it. I know a few things in Irish Gaelic, but I'm only starting learning this language.
Avalon-Queen
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Won Wheezy » Tuesday 6 April 2004 12:10:21am

Cool, I want to learn Gaelic too! How do you do it? By self study? :D
Won Wheezy
Blower of Kisses, Tickler of Toes and gecko-smoocher

Postby Avalon-Queen » Tuesday 6 April 2004 7:10:00pm

Won Wheezy wrote:Cool, I want to learn Gaelic too! How do you do it? By self study? :D

Yes, by self study :) here in the internet and in books too! :) It's a very "magic" language :)
Avalon-Queen
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Mr3d » Wednesday 14 April 2004 12:43:06pm

¡Aupa! Espero que aquellos que sepan español me entiendan... Yo soy del norte de España y me ha parecido buena idea esto del post multilingüe. Bueno, un saludo para todos los hispanoparlantes. :welcome:

Hallo! Ich kann auch ziehmlich gut Deutsch. Hab' schon mein ABI fast vorbei und hoffe, dass ich die mündliche Prüfung bestehe... Ich (be-?)grüBe alle Deutschsprecher und hoffe ihr versteht mich ohne viele Schwierigkeiten :oops: ... Tschüss!

Je ne sais plus comment est-ce q'on parle français. Mais je dire: Salut! Ça va? Et si est-ce que vous repondre, peut-être je vous comprendre...

My english skills are not better than my german ones but I hope you understand what I say. I find learning different languages very interesting and would like to learn chinese, japanese, russian...

Well, I don't know if this has been already done (any "old" members can tell for sure): It would be great to have a list of common Harry-Potter-world's words and the translation in another languages, so it becomes easier to understand words like: deatheater, DADA, OWL's... which are translated into mortífagos, DCLAO, TIMO?... and are very different (I only read the 5th book in english). And we would learn some words... :D
Mr3d
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Won Wheezy » Wednesday 14 April 2004 2:17:08pm

Hey that sounds like a great idea, go for it! :grin:
Und dein Deutsch ist spitze!
Won Wheezy
Blower of Kisses, Tickler of Toes and gecko-smoocher

Postby Mr3d » Wednesday 14 April 2004 5:23:33pm

I started a new topic, because I thought it was a bit different to that being said here.

http://www.broomsticksandowls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3257
Mr3d
Fully Qualified Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Hall