Languages Thread

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby AngelicS_89 » Thursday 4 March 2004 10:52:51pm

Joto wrote:Well, what type of words do you want?
(Bueno... que tipo de palabras quieres?)

Nothing special anything what comes on your mind,just talk in Spanish and I'll suck that in my brain and remember how to write them.

I understood everything what you said Amon Rê except estadounidense,didn't know that's how you say american.How do you write son(I always wondered....)
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Airconditioner Potter » Thursday 4 March 2004 11:13:22pm

Bonjour! Je m'appelle Airconditioner Potter. J'aime Harry Potter!
Airconditioner Potter
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Amon Rê » Thursday 4 March 2004 11:13:32pm

Yeah. my grammmer is horrible, I can speak Spanish and understand it, but when it comes to writing I am horrible...but I tried... :-D
Amon Rê
Dreamer of Dreams, Registered Animagus (Snow Owl) and Ambassador from the Isle of Dreams

Postby pinky p » Thursday 4 March 2004 11:18:34pm

hola, fluffy, me llamo pinkyprincess. soy de los estados unidos. de donde eres tu? me gusta leer harry potter, nadar, y comer :razz: . tengo trece (sp?) anos, y mis cumpleanos es (or is it esta) el veinte ocho da mayo.
pinky p
Supreme Pie-Eater, Registered Animagus (Platypus) and Princess of All Pink Grapefruit

Location: either swimming, sleeping, eating, or doing schoolwork... my life these days

Postby Amon Rê » Thursday 4 March 2004 11:55:06pm

son = hijo...estadounidense=it really just means a US citizen...americano=american but it's so general it could be North or South American... :-D
Amon Rê
Dreamer of Dreams, Registered Animagus (Snow Owl) and Ambassador from the Isle of Dreams

Postby Hermione Weasley » Friday 5 March 2004 12:46:10am

my spanish teacher told us not to use americano when we say where we are from bc if your talking to someone in spanish they will most likely assume that your from south America.she said it was better to just say I live in the United states.
Some phrases that I know:
Como estas?-How are you?
Donde tu?- Where do you live?
Hola!-Hi!
Buenos Dias!-Good Day
Buenos tardes-Good Afternoon
Buenos noches-Good night
Hasta Luego-See you later
Hermione Weasley
Gryffindor Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Keeper of Songs

Postby Violet » Friday 5 March 2004 2:02:50am

Guten Tag
Ich spreche ein bißchen Deutsch

Dont know if thats right at all, i havent done german for four years, dont remember much from GCSE except how to run off random verbs!
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby AngelicS_89 » Friday 5 March 2004 1:01:38pm

Thanks ppl!I'm glad to say I understood everything you wrote!

Buenas dias muchacitas(sp? I supose this is how yo write girls)
Guten Tag Violet!(What does Komm(sp?) zuruck mean,I alwauys thought it means to be late :???: )
Bonjour Airconditioner Potter!Tu parle francais?
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Beluka » Friday 5 March 2004 2:52:04pm

estadounidense=it really just means a US citizen...americano=american but it's so general it could be North or South American...

my spanish teacher told us not to use americano when we say where we are from bc if your talking to someone in spanish they will most likely assume that your from south America.she said it was better to just say I live in the United states

That's right... "estadounidense" comes from "Estados Unidos", literally, United States, and that's the correct term, though you may say "americano" too, we would understand it even if it's not officially correct, because, anyway, South American people would say the country where they're from, not just that they're "american".

To Fluffy Bear: (Some words :)):
¿Qué tal estás? Yo bien. No sé de dónde eres, ¿Alemania, quizá? Me encantaría aprender alemán, pero creo que se me daría fatal

Too hard maybe... Just let me know ;)
Beluka
Fourth Year

Postby Amon Rê » Friday 5 March 2004 4:23:53pm

Beluka:
¿Donde esta (es) Galacia? No recuerdo cuál verbo utilizar. ¿Dijo está en España? ¿Bien?
Amon Rê

Postby Phinea Rogue » Friday 5 March 2004 9:10:07pm

Sziasztok! Hogy vagytok? Ez it is magyar nyelv, van it valaki Magyaroszágból? En Szlovákiából vagyok.

Okay, this probably had plenty of mistakes in it, but it's Hungarian. I can understand the language well, but it's difficult to speak it and even more difficult to write it. My Dad's half-Hungarian (I'm Slovak)...

Hello! How are you? This is Hungarian language, is there someone from Hungary? I'm from Slovakia.
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby Female_alien » Friday 5 March 2004 10:02:47pm

Hey Fluffy! Komm zuruck means come back. We lesrn Deutsch in scholl so I know it - not very much but enough

Und ich liebe Deutsch nicht - Englisch ist scho
Female_alien
Lord of the Aliens, Crazyness, Candles and Smiles, and a Proud Hufflepuff

Postby Female_alien » Friday 5 March 2004 10:05:44pm

Hey Fluffy! Komm zuruck means come back. We lesrn Deutsch in scholl so I know it - not very much but enough
¸¸
Und ich liebe Deutsch nicht - Englisch ist schoner
Female_alien
Lord of the Aliens, Crazyness, Candles and Smiles, and a Proud Hufflepuff

Postby Beluka » Friday 5 March 2004 10:43:35pm

¿Donde esta (es) Galacia? No recuerdo cuál verbo utilizar. ¿Dijo está en España? ¿Bien?

Galicia is (está;)) in Spain, yes, it's in the north-west corner, right over Portugal.
You're from the States, right? What state you from?
(happy weekend! let's paaaaartyy!) :grin:
Beluka
Fourth Year

Postby Amon Rê » Friday 5 March 2004 11:25:04pm

North Carolina...oh yes and if my grammer in Spanish is horrible my accents are even worse...I either put them on everything or don't put them on anything...
Amon Rê

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Hall