Harry Potter vs. The Lord of the Rings

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Evil Sailor Saturn » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

Hey, I saw this on a Lord of the Rings site if it looks familiar to anyone. It got great results there so lets see how you all feel. Who's better LOTR or HP? Or can the two not even be compared? Some people say J.K. Rowling even copied some stuff from Tolkien. Its not my opinion, but maybe its some of yours.
Evil Sailor Saturn
Fourth Year

Postby LadySnape » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

I honestly can't choose between the two! One is aimed at adults, the other at children. You have to watch each movie from a different point of view. Go watch HP as if you were a kid... you want exciting things to be happening all the time, to keep you interested. Go watch LOTR as an adult, where you want details, explanations and lots of intense action. That is how I watched them, so I love them both. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LadySnape on 2002-08-09 20:04 ]</font>
LadySnape
Fully Qualified Witch and Wife of Severus

I agree, there was just some aspects of Harry Potter not in LOTR and some aspects of LOTR not in HP. I will say this though: LOTR was definately more true to the book than HP.
Evil Sailor Saturn
Fourth Year

I know, watching LOTR was like reading the book all over again, that's how close it was. After I saw HP at the theatre, I read the book again and I was like, "Huh?" So I have to agree with you, there! :smile:
LadySnape

The Harry Potter movie entirely butchered the book! I hope next one's better or I will have to stop watching them.
Evil Sailor Saturn
Fourth Year

I'm surprised that it wasn't that close to book. I thought J.K. Rowling was in on the whole thing! I know she was, Alan Rickman and Robbie Coltrane talked to her about their characters.
LadySnape

Yeah, if she didn't want her Harry butchered then she should have gotten a kid with black hair and green eyes, or gotten some hair color and contacts for Radcliffe. The LOTR was so much truer. It made me happy. (This is turning into a "Whats wrong with the HP movie" thread)
Evil Sailor Saturn
Fourth Year

I know, I don't like to nit-pick, but I mean, come on. A wig, some hair colour and a pair of contacts wouldn't have added much to their budget.
LadySnape

His scar made me mad too. Couldn't they have made it a little more realistic? (Aunt Petunia and Dudley's hair was wrong too.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Evil Sailor Saturn on 2002-08-09 20:45 ]</font>
Evil Sailor Saturn
Fourth Year

*sigh* I know.

I thought they were gonna cut Aragog out of the 2nd movie, but then I saw him in the Trailer. Thanks goodness! I also saw Dobby... not quite what I expected him to look like. He actually freaked me out at first.

Oh and you know what really Frosts My Friday? The 2nd Movie Poster. Why should Dobby get the whole thing to himself? GRRR! :evil:
LadySnape

I pictured House Evles to be MUCH cuter.

P.S. Dobby isn't even the main character :evil:
Evil Sailor Saturn
Fourth Year

Exactly right.

Did you read all of the LOTR Books?
LadySnape

I'm on the last on about halfway through it.
Evil Sailor Saturn
Fourth Year

I haven't started the 3rd one yet. Is it good? I thought how Gandolf came back as "Gandolf The White" was so cool, b/c I was so upset when he died! I'm glad he came back! The next movie is going to be so awesome!
LadySnape

Gandalf rocks but my favorite char of all time is Legolas, followed in close second by Arwen. Do you belong to the LOTR Fanatics Plaza?
Evil Sailor Saturn
Fourth Year

Next

Return to The Great Hall