Voldemort's Immortality - how concrete is it?

Who do you like best and who could you definately live without? Will there be romance in the air for any of them and who will end up with who?

Moderators: Mistress Siana, Q.Araignee, Scarlet Lioness

Voldemort's Immortality - how concrete is it?

Postby Kalessin » Tuesday 19 July 2005 12:53:29pm

We know now that Voldemort has horcruxes galore right and if he dies, he can rely on a portion of his soul to continue to anchor his spirit to the world.

Well, has Voldemort took other steps to stop his aging process do you think? I mean, its all very well and good having back-ups incase you die, but sureley the soul can only remain on earth as long as the physical body stays intact?

Are the horcruxes that are for example the locket, which unless destroyed will remain forever intact, keeping him from ageing? I would be interested to know what you think cause its confusing me a little, thanks : )
Kalessin
Second Year

Postby Stumpy » Tuesday 19 July 2005 12:57:15pm

well DD said that he had split himself up he was hardly human. The 7th part of his soul was not be destroyed at the potters house when his spell backfired?
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby DumbledoreistheMaster » Tuesday 19 July 2005 2:09:52pm

Ya his body doesn't have to be intact for his souls to work because then he wouldn't have been able to regenerate himself like he did cuz when he tried to kill Harry his body was destroyed.
DumbledoreistheMaster
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Kalessin » Tuesday 19 July 2005 2:28:33pm

So will the body he has now age at all, since Voldemort is going for the long haul of immortality? Or do you think he could just touch it up with magic since he has horcruxes?
Kalessin
Second Year

Postby Stumpy » Tuesday 19 July 2005 2:34:09pm

I think its much like darth vader he's not really human so i doubt that his body aging changes anything, he could even use unicorns blood????
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Kalessin » Tuesday 19 July 2005 2:40:34pm

I wonder what other measures he went to ensuring his immortality? He obviously has more horcruxes than anyone else before him, and I think its concrete that underwent rituals or some such? Hmm, I wonder if Harry will do the 'travel and learn great magics' thing whilst on his hunt for the horcruxes, who knows eh
Kalessin
Second Year

Postby Stumpy » Tuesday 19 July 2005 2:45:33pm

JKR unfortunately:???: :???:
i dont think he would've done anything else as he thought that he was the best of the best and thought that no one would discover his. If he thought that DD would he would've put more effort into capturing the new DAtDA teacher
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Re: Voldemort's Immortality - how concrete is it?

Postby Violet » Tuesday 19 July 2005 4:57:25pm

Kalessin wrote:We know now that Voldemort has horcruxes galore right and if he dies, he can rely on a portion of his soul to continue to anchor his spirit to the world.

Well, has Voldemort took other steps to stop his aging process do you think? I mean, its all very well and good having back-ups incase you die, but sureley the soul can only remain on earth as long as the physical body stays intact?

well as we already know from the first book voldermort didnt need his physical body to surive, he was living off of quirrel to keep lhim alive then.
The thing is that killing your normal bad guy would mean killing him once, but with voldermort it would 7 times assuming that he doenst make any more horcruxes, which to be fair is a pretty big way to ensure u're survival
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Stumpy » Tuesday 19 July 2005 5:02:14pm

I dont think there'll be more than 7 as LV thinks he is untouchable and if he was that bothered he'd've made more of an effort to kill scrum i think. Unless he knows they've been destroyed
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby blowtorch » Tuesday 19 July 2005 5:02:28pm

I agree with Violet. Voldemort does not 'need' a body to survive. He just uses the body to be able to 'do' things. I mean, he can't cast spells and such as just a spirit.
Also, Voldemort is not immortal - and nor does he say that he is. His words are
further down the path to immortality than...

So may be immortality is not an absolute. You can never be immortal, just closer to it...
blowtorch

Postby Violet » Tuesday 19 July 2005 5:07:30pm

thats why he has to place parts of his soul in objects and then hide them behind a bunch of enchantments and curses, he knows that he is not imoratal, and he fears the fact that he isnt, but he has still got complacent about the opponents that he has to face
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby dibble2 » Tuesday 19 July 2005 6:08:07pm

I wonder how many other wizards have used horcruxes? I think it must be extremely difficult and dangerous to make just one, otherwise more wizards would be doing it. Maybe ripping your soul in half is a deterrent, but what exactly does that do? It has to be very difficult, dangerous, and probably harmful and painful to do, otherwise every dark wizard would have one.
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby blowtorch » Tuesday 19 July 2005 6:35:21pm

Actually, in the book, Dumbledore reckons that quite a few witches/wizards have horcruxes.. it's just that the fact that Voldemort made seven makes it really hard to kill him.
blowtorch

Postby Lelie » Tuesday 19 July 2005 6:50:49pm

i honestly don't think we'll have much time to worry about voldemort's current body and how long it will last. but, if he was able to regenerate it once, i'm sure he could do it again if he had to. it really wouldn't do to wander around with limbs falling off and such.... even for an evil guy like him. (would add to his shock value though...)
i have to wonder exactly how you get rid of horcruxes though. harry does have to destroy them, but how? obviously with the diary it was the basilisk's fang, but surely that wouldn't work for all of them.
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Stumpy » Tuesday 19 July 2005 6:53:16pm

I think DD must have left a clue for Harry possibly a memory for him to find out what happened when he got the ring that blackened his arm!
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Next

Return to Characters