horcruxes

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby Tanuki » Thursday 4 August 2005 2:11:27pm

weasley_gurl wrote:Voldy definately intended for Harry to help in making one of his horcruxes but it didn't work because he didn't kill something...so therefore Harry can't be one of the horcruxes...or maybe he is and we dont know :???: :???: :???: I'm confusing myself...

So he tickles lily and James with feathers?

anyway, back on topic, voldie cannot bear prolonged contact with harry's soul. so how would he manage to put a horcrux in there in the first place?

Voldermort's conciousness and his evil black heart can't bear to be in Harry. His soul may be one of the only things that can touch Harry, since it might not necessarily be connected to Voldermort's conciousness. How else can you explain his splitting it from his body and not turning into Barty Crouch?
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Snow_Crystal » Friday 5 August 2005 3:21:31pm

Hmm don't know. But I do have another horcrux question at the moment

This might be a really dumb question but where does it say in the book (what page) that you have to kill to make a horcrux? I know we have all up til now thought this but think about this. I'm sure it's there somewhere I just can't remember now what was actually said. We must have picked up on this for a reason

Why did Tom ask Slughorn after a potions class about horcruxes? Do you need potions to make them or to reintegrate them? This would explain the cauldron at the end of GOF...

Lily was good at Potions, was this what LV wanted from her? And is this the use he made of Snape - did he get Snape to help him make them instead of who he really wanted Lily? She had defied him thrice before...
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Dutchess42 » Friday 5 August 2005 4:41:26pm

See page 498 in the American edition - in the horcruxes chapter Slughorn tells Tom that you have to commit a murder

we learn that

To create a horcrux you must
1. kill
2. do a spell
3. encase part of your soul in the enchanted object

Later, Dumbledore tells Harry that he thinks V made Nagini a horcrux using the muggle he killed.
Dutchess42
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Monday 8 August 2005 4:07:15pm

Aha - thanks Dutchess - I also checked at the weekend because I was sure it said it somewhere! I just couldn't remember where!

I wonder how you encase the soul within it. Whether that's using the spell? Must be. I still reckon potions must come in somewhere it's more likely it will be on the reintegration side though
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Froggs » Monday 8 August 2005 7:22:20pm

It would be very interesting to me if while HP is searching Godrics Hollow, and his destroyed house site, if he found a dented goblet owned at one point by Helga Hufflepuff. That would solve the riddle as to why he didn't use the goblet as a horcrux.
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Monday 8 August 2005 9:29:05pm

I've just had a spooky thought...a goblet... didn't Mundungus steal a Silver Goblet from Grimauld Place? I can't check! I think I might discount this automatically though because I think it had the Black family crest on it.

Also just been reading a bit of Gof again...

"Wormtail was able to follow the instructions I gave him, which would return me to a rudimentary, weak body of my own, a body I would be able to inhabit while awaiting the essential ingredients for true rebirth...a spell or two of my own invention... a little help from my dear Nagini' - Voldemorts red eyes fell upon the continually circulating snake - 'a potion concocted from unicorn blood, and the snake venom Nagini provided..."

I think he's already used the horcrux of Nagini... so that means we have

a diary (destroyed)
Slytherin's ring (destroyed)
Nagini (already used)
a locket (Grimauld Place)
a Hufflepuff Cup (location unknown)
Something Gryffindor (location unknown)
Something Ravenclaw (location unknown)

So excluding the ring which Harry will probably find after Hermione points out RAB is probably Regulas, and after she reminds him that they found a locket at Grimauld Place, Harry might only have 3 horcruxes to find...
Snow_Crystal

Postby Froggs » Monday 8 August 2005 9:49:06pm

Aren't there only six horcruxes? LV has retainied 1/7th of his soul, so only 6 objects contain part of his sold. Or are there 7 horcruxes and LV has 1/8th of his soul? Math was never my strong suit!
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Monday 8 August 2005 10:11:20pm

Froggs wrote:Aren't there only six horcruxes? LV has retainied 1/7th of his soul, so only 6 objects contain part of his sold. Or are there 7 horcruxes and LV has 1/8th of his soul? Math was never my strong suit!

Good point! Not sure now, I think he has one in him now (He said Nagini helped him at the end of Gof so I think he must have already used this surely?) and there are six other horcruxes - I think LV was trying to create a horcrux when he tried to kill Harry, but I think it backfired because he failed to kill him. It's so hard to know isn't it!!! :-?

A lot of people will say the last horcrux is Harry, I still can't decide on this but surely the item he wanted as a horcrux would have been at Lily and James's house in Godric's Hollow. I reckon this would be the something of Gryffindor. But the other thing is, is whoever was also there that night might have kept the intended horcrux item, or it might have been destroyed like LV's body was - the house maybe?
Snow_Crystal

Postby dibble2 » Tuesday 9 August 2005 1:53:58am

another thing about the number of horcruxes...I don't know if anyone's mentioned it before, but Voldemort must have used one of his horcruxes after he "died" when he attacked baby Harry. How do those things work? Is that part of his soul gone forever, or what? Does that mean one of his horcruxes was "used up" when he "died" that night?
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Person1 » Tuesday 9 August 2005 3:54:32am

Froggs wrote:Aren't there only six horcruxes? LV has retainied 1/7th of his soul, so only 6 objects contain part of his sold. Or are there 7 horcruxes and LV has 1/8th of his soul? Math was never my strong suit!

I too thought bout this, but then again, he said seven horcruxes, and he himself is not a horcrux, just a vessel for the parts of his soul.
Person1
Creator of realities unknown

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Tuesday 9 August 2005 6:07:20am

I'm sure if we just re-read the chapter we'd all understand very easily...
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Nightcrawler » Tuesday 9 August 2005 6:32:09am

dibble2 wrote:another thing about the number of horcruxes...I don't know if anyone's mentioned it before, but Voldemort must have used one of his horcruxes after he "died" when he attacked baby Harry. How do those things work? Is that part of his soul gone forever, or what? Does that mean one of his horcruxes was "used up" when he "died" that night?

Here's my interpretation of the horcrux concept. For a person to die; #1; thier body must be killed and #2; thier (whole) soul must pass on. Creating a horcrux is sort of like an insurance polocy against death. Even if your body is destroyed, your soul cannot pass on because part of it is trapped inside an object. Creating more than one horcrux would ensure that even if your first horcrux was destroyed, and your body was killed, you'd have backups.

So when Voldermorts spell bounced back at him, it killed his body, but his spirit was unable to "pass on" because of his horcruxes. So, the way I see it; horcruxes are like anchors to this world. So long as they are unharmed, your soul will be able to stay in the world, so in a sense; you will be immortal. I don't think that horcruxes get "used up" at all. They just hold your "main soul" in the world.
Nightcrawler
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Underneath a sheet of corigated tin by the side of the road.

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Tuesday 9 August 2005 6:41:27am

Wish begs the question as to what happens after a Dementor's Kiss.
The body doesn't die.
The soul doesn't pass on either - so where do u think it goes, into the dementor? That means there is a soul somewhere. And if there isn't a soul anyway then it must have passed on, so therefore the person themselves, if not their body, is dead.

To me it sounds an aweful lot like what happens with the soul when the body dies.

It moves/shifts.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby darkcloak » Tuesday 9 August 2005 9:37:14am

As Nightcrawler says above, Horcruxes are not used up, their existence merely keeps the soul left in the body alive.

I have edited your list below Snowy to include Voldemort

Snowy wrote:We have:
1. a diary (destroyed)
2. Slytherin's ring (destroyed)
3. Possibly Nagini (still there)
4. a locket (Grimauld Place)
5. a Hufflepuff Cup (location unknown)
6. Something Gryffindor OR something Ravenclaw (location unknown)
7. Voldemort

Anyone think that the Gryffindor OR Ravenclaw item might be something still in Hogwarts (after all Tom Riddle did feel it was his home), that has been mentioned a few times already?

Sorting Hat? Portraits? Peeves?

Or something totally new:

Sword of Ravenclaw?
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Tuesday 9 August 2005 9:48:09am

I think it will be at Godric's Hollow.. or at least was at Godrics Hollow on the night he tried to kill Harry.

I don't think it can be Gryffindors Sword because that has effectively already been used "against" LV well against something LV was commanding - the basilisk. It also seems odd to me that JKR hasn't told us much about the other founders - well not really and that she's left quite a lot to the last book to introduce?
Snow_Crystal

PreviousNext

Return to The Books