a problem about half-blood

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby Asphodel » Saturday 12 November 2005 6:22:05pm

Oftentimes things like this start when someone is not satisfied her/himself. If he was born a pure-blood all fine and dandy, maybe he wouldn't have come out as bad.

:jump: A.F.D :jump:
Asphodel
Head of the Department of Mysteries

Postby Chimera » Thursday 15 December 2005 1:30:03pm

The book was never to be read by anyone but himself. Perhaps he felt that regardless of what he told others he couldn't hide from himself. Perhaps taking the title "half-blood" was a nod towards his resentment towards his father, not just for being a muggle but also for having a go at Snape's mother. Book didn't say if violence was ever involved in that relationship, but perhaps...

I think there's something allegorical about the whole thing. I've discussed links between the Death Eaters and real-life fascists such as the NF before, but it may be worth mentioning it again.

Hitler was a quarter Jewish. 6 million deaths later and he still hadn't worked out his issues. I'm beginning to think maybe Bush and Blair are part Muslim... but seriously now, this is a serious topic. There were also people in Hitler's cabinet with gay tendencies, and so the pink triangle was born.

Rowling doesn't seem to be afraid of social commentary, and the times she allows in some anti-fascist or anti-racist sentiment are very important.

Lupin has a major role to play in this. I reckon the hostility Lupin encounters is an excellent metaphor for the attacks on the LGBT community: "would you really want one of them teaching your kids?". He's still human, and his monthly furryness is not his fault.
Chimera
Fully Qualified Wizard

Previous

Return to The Books