How did you feel about the 5th book overall?

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

How did you feel about book 5 after reading it?

Best book ever written!
9%
Great! My favourite book in the series!
32%
Good, but not my favourite book in the HP series.
50%
Disappointed. Did not meet my expectations.
9%

Total votes : 149

Postby Cedric » Saturday 26 March 2005 3:58:07am

have any trailers or teasers been released yet?
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Imelyen » Saturday 26 March 2005 7:36:14am

My feelings on book five are as follows:

Harry is a cry baby, that is all
Imelyen
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Cedric » Saturday 26 March 2005 6:48:22pm

How is he a cry baby? He's gone through more horrible events then anyone else in the books combined. He doesn't know what it is like to have a happy family or a normal life. He's always being criticized and put down by people who think he is just someone out to get attention. If thats not a reason for being mad and stressed at some points in the books then I don't know what is! Nothing ever goes his way anyway so I think he should deserve some slack.
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Imelyen » Saturday 26 March 2005 8:36:00pm

Since nothing ever goes his way? He's still alive because EVERYTHING goes his way. And then he complains about not being told every little detail, and not being included in every single conversation. And the mainpeople who were putting him down were people he either didn't know, or the Slytherins. As for the people he did know who thought he was "An attention seeking prat", that was his fault because he "didnt want to talk about it", had he just explained it to his house it would have been fine (Like after he got the interview with Rita was published). The only thing he really had to be upset about was Sirius dying, but as he didn't really know Sirius, it wasn't as bad as losing a parent, or even a close friend.

I have stated my views....flame on
Imelyen
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Cedric » Saturday 26 March 2005 10:04:33pm

Imelyen wrote:The only thing he really had to be upset about was Sirius dying, but as he didn't really know Sirius, it wasn't as bad as losing a parent, or even a close friend.

I have stated my views....flame on

He was going to live with Sirius. Sirius was the closest thing to a parent/family Harry had ever imagined to have. Loosing that one closest person he had to a family member must have been extremely hard for him to cope with. But it is clear that we see differently so I will leave it at that and will not "flame on"
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tanuki » Sunday 27 March 2005 12:46:11am

People are so fickle, they can't take it when someone indulges in a little self pity. Even if they probably loved this person before, heaven forbid they should have a human reaction to bad situations. I guess Harry should have been chipper and cheery even after seeing someone die. I gues he should have been content to survive, constantly attacked, year after year just for being alive. Yes, he has survived, where others have died; yet he lives knowing that his life is always in danger. He is also a teenager, which means he's moody; but I guess you wouldn't know anything about that.
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby wildchild123 » Sunday 3 April 2005 2:25:46pm

Book 5 is my favourite book at the moment because it explains alot. but i think that when book 6 comes out, it will be my favourite book.
wildchild123
Second Year

Postby Tween_Luv » Friday 8 April 2005 6:29:02pm

i really enjoyed reading book 5, except it was not my favorite. my favorite would have to be the prisoner of azkaban...book five was just..to much at the same time. i can't really explain, but it seemed as if JK Rowling was smushing to much together..and it was so fast paced in some parts that the information didn't have time to sink in and have the proper effect...=\
Tween_Luv
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Cedric » Friday 8 April 2005 6:49:30pm

Yeah, thats how I felt sometimes with Goblet of Fire. There was just so much to get in just one book. But I did enjoy it being really long. I wish all her books were long (only with a good story in it though).
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tween_Luv » Friday 8 April 2005 8:41:27pm

yeah, it would be nice if the all books were long, but not so fast paced and packed up. i read the fourth book when i was...9 or 10, or 11, but i didn't really care about it being fast paced, but since i've read it over a couple of times..it really does seem to have something like the fifth book, but definately not as much. the sixth book is much shorter though, isn't it?
Tween_Luv
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Cedric » Friday 8 April 2005 10:18:04pm

Thats what I've been hearing. The sixth book will be somewhat shorter but I heard it was like 300 pages...thats not too bad either.
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tween_Luv » Friday 8 April 2005 11:19:45pm

yeah, it still should be very interesting...and at least its not as short as the first three books...i got through those very quickly. =\
Book 5 was upsetting with Sirius though...but it was the surprise twist...well, not really..but it was a shock. she really thought it out i'm guessing, it was a pretty good ending, although it was sad :(
Tween_Luv
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Saturday 9 April 2005 6:34:04am

but I heard it was like 300 pages

That's shorter than the UK edition of PoA. Not to worry though, because I'm fairly sure it won't be 300. JKR released the number of chapters it's got. I can't remember how many exactly, but I read it on her website somewhere I think. It's shorter than GoF and OoTP but bigger than PoA which is sweet. I'm thinking about 520 pages.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Tween_Luv » Saturday 9 April 2005 11:40:49pm

that would be nice.i hope its pretty long.. =\ but, i hope its not so short or long that it gets boring...kind of...
Tween_Luv
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Sunday 10 April 2005 9:28:23am

I've never been bored by any Harry Potter book at any time, so I guess that's not really a factor for me.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

PreviousNext

Return to The Books