horcruxes

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby crystallised_pineapple » Tuesday 16 August 2005 6:53:54pm

i don't think so... surely fawkes would've helped DD if they could??
crystallised_pineapple
Queen of The Pixies

Location: three broomsticks :D surrounded by empty butterbeer bottles...he he

Postby darkcloak » Wednesday 17 August 2005 8:57:45am

Snow_Patrol wrote:Yeah but at that stage LV was not immortal nor did he have an immortality design on life. He was just 11 years old.

As an aside.......

I think that Tom's fear of death and therefore lust for immortality comes from his mother's willingness to die, or as he sees it, her weakness against death.

It's interesting that Harry's life has been created by the fact that his mother chose death in order to save him, whereas Voldemort's mother chose to die even though she had a son.

It makes even more poignant the fact that when resurrected he 'wanted Harry's mum's protection in his veins', as his mother never cared enough to give this to him herself.
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 17 August 2005 9:43:52am

Yeah - good point. I think his thirst for immortality must have stemmed from things he learnt at Hogwarts otherwise he'd never have known about the possibility of it all.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby espionage » Wednesday 17 August 2005 11:46:39am

Completely unrelated to the direction this conversation is going, is anyone else suspicious about the sorting hat? I'm not entirely serious about this theory, I think its just a bit preposterous really, but anyway it struck me that in HBP DD said the sword was gryffindor's only remaining posession...but that's wrong, we were told in the 4th book that the sorting hat was Gryffindor's hat. and it does behave in a rather unusual way for a hat....rather like tom riddle's diary, which we know for pretty much certain was a horcrux. never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain, in the wise words of Arthur Weasley. hmmm....
espionage
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 17 August 2005 12:24:29pm

Welcome espionage!

Nah - sorry I'm not buying that. It might have been Gryffindor's Hat (don't remember reading that - what page?) but the hat represents all four founders. As with the sword, I can't believe that LV would somehow be able to get into DD's office, steal the hat without anyone noticing, kill someone, make it a horcrux and then return it or make it a horcrux while killing someone in DD's office. Doesn't make sense to me
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Mrs. Luca Black » Wednesday 17 August 2005 4:13:17pm

Ooh! Ooh! All four founders are still alive!

They didn't just put part of their brains into the hat, they each put part of their soul!

Godric's Hollow was named that because he still lives there.

Now Gryffindor and Ravenclaw will come and kill Voldy because they'll be pretty ticked that they aren't important enough to have one of their objects be a horcrux.

Put's a new perspective on things, huh?

*yanks all of the straws out of everyone's drinks*
Mrs. Luca Black
Member of the Original Order of the Phoenix

Location: In the kitchen of 12 Grimmauld Place handing Kreacher a new, 100 pound, cast iron tea service.

Postby espionage » Wednesday 17 August 2005 6:59:47pm

hey sow patrol!
no I don't buy it either, I just think its a funny idea!
I dont know the page, can't be bothered to go find the book (all the way upstairs!) but the sorting hat mentions it in its song at the start of term. anyway the hat's been sorting for way longer than LV's been around, so there's no way it could be. i do think its weird DD left it out though. i guess JKR is only human, however it may seem from her writing genius!

but i suppose if he left out one thing, he could have left out another....
espionage
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Fantasy girl » Wednesday 17 August 2005 7:53:19pm

Ooh! Ooh! All four founders are still alive!

They didn't just put part of their brains into the hat, they each put part of their soul!

Godric's Hollow was named that because he still lives there.

Now Gryffindor and Ravenclaw will come and kill Voldy because they'll be pretty ticked that they aren't important enough to have one of their objects be a horcrux.

Put's a new perspective on things, huh?

*yanks all of the straws out of everyone's drinks*

that is a new perspective. BUT, is it possible
Fantasy girl
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Mrs. Luca Black » Wednesday 17 August 2005 9:10:51pm

Fantasy girl wrote:that is a new perspective. BUT, is it possible

I don't mean to be rude, but my sarcasm in that should have been blaringly obvious.
Mrs. Luca Black

Location: In the kitchen of 12 Grimmauld Place handing Kreacher a new, 100 pound, cast iron tea service.

Postby Fantasy girl » Wednesday 17 August 2005 9:48:42pm

just joking, yur sarcasms was loud and clear
Fantasy girl
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby darkcloak » Thursday 18 August 2005 9:14:09am

Getting back on topic.......

During Dumbledore's private lessons, he constantly emphasises the tendancy of Tom Riddle to collect 'trophies' and that these could have been turned into horcruxes.

I have two guesses where one of the horcruxes could actually be and I haven't seen them mentioned yet. These could be in place of Nagini (of which Dumbledore wasn't certain) or the Ravenclaw horcux.

Firstly, it's mentioned in many of the books that Tom Riddle received an award, a trophy for special services to the school, after the first opening of the Chamber of Secrets in 1943 (see here http://www.hp-lexicon.org/timelines/tim ... emort.html)

It's still at Hogwarts (having been polished as punishment in CoS) and Voldemort would surely be smiling to himself at the irony of this award being used to keep him alive.

Secondly, it could be that one of the objects that Tom originally stole in the home has been used to create a Horcrux, as a symbol of his rebellion against Dumbledore?

a yo-yo, a silver thimble and a tarnished mouth-organ

Any thoughts?
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Thursday 18 August 2005 9:30:32am

Woh!! That's really spooky. I was thinking about that special award for services to the school as well last night and I was literally heading here to put that on!!! I totally think that it's plausable for him to use that award as a horcrux!

I'm not sure about the yoyo etc, not sure they're significant enough or not. It depends how he obtained them of course.
Snow_Crystal

Postby crystallised_pineapple » Thursday 18 August 2005 11:51:35am

wow the trophy i never even thought of that...

i thought that the mouth organ or yoyo or something could perhaps be a horcrux as they were the only objects that were significant when LV found pout he was a wizard... or maybe the wardrobe DD set on fire...
crystallised_pineapple
Queen of The Pixies

Location: three broomsticks :D surrounded by empty butterbeer bottles...he he

Postby Tanuki » Thursday 18 August 2005 3:42:30pm

Dumbledore had the mouth organ and he said that it was always nothing more than a mouth organ. As for the trophy, it has no magical propertires or real prestige, plus it has his name on it, which Voldermort would want to put as much distance behind him as possible.
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Mrs. Luca Black » Thursday 18 August 2005 4:22:25pm

Tanuki wrote:Dumbledore had the mouth organ and he said that it was always nothing more than a mouth organ. As for the trophy, it has no magical propertires or real prestige, plus it has his name on it, which Voldermort would want to put as much distance behind him as possible.

He may hate the name his mother gave him, but I think the award is still incredibly important to him. Hogwarts meant so much to him, so to be awarded for doing something to the school would mean a lot as well. Also, I'm sure he's still smarmy over the fact that he tricked the headmaster into thinking it was Hagrid that set the monster loose and not him.
Mrs. Luca Black

PreviousNext

Return to The Books