How did you feel about the 5th book overall?

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

How did you feel about book 5 after reading it?

Best book ever written!
9%
Great! My favourite book in the series!
32%
Good, but not my favourite book in the HP series.
50%
Disappointed. Did not meet my expectations.
9%

Total votes : 149

How did you feel about the 5th book overall?

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Wednesday 25 June 2003 11:20:01pm

It seems that I've read, in various polls on the Internet, that people had different reactions to book 5. Some thought it was the best book ever whereas others, at the other end of the spectrum, were extremely disappointed. What about you? :D How did book 5 measure up to your expectations? Please vote on the poll and if you wish to comment on why book 5 was a success/failure/or simply good, but not your fave book in the series, please do so on this thread! :grin:
Last edited by Lizzy Bennet on Wednesday 9 July 2003 1:41:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lizzy Bennet
Angel of Music and Giver of Hugs

Postby Cho Chang » Wednesday 25 June 2003 11:24:57pm

i love this book. I think its the best book of the series. The content was great.
Cho Chang
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Re: How did you feel about the 5th book overall?

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Wednesday 25 June 2003 11:38:23pm

Lizzy Bennet wrote:It seems that I've read, in various polls on the Internet, that people had different reactions to book 5. Some thought it was the best book ever whereas others, at the other end of the spectrum, were extremely disappointed. What about you? :D How did book 5 measure up to your expectations? Please vote on the poll and if you wish to comment on why book 5 was a success/failure/or simply good, but not your fave book in the series, please do so on this thread! :grin:

Forgot to give my position! :oops: tee-hee-hee Though I did enjoy book 5 a good deal, book 3 is still my favorite. :D

~ Lizzy :grin:
Lizzy Bennet

Postby Blaise Zabini » Thursday 26 June 2003 4:07:17am

I'm actually not too sure where I stand. It was an incredible book, but not quite what I expected. The ending was rubbish, as it really only summed up what we knew from the previous four books, but up until the end it was good. The fifth book made me hate the magical world, whereas the previous books had me wanting to jump right on the Hogwarts Express. There was way too much Cho and Ginny. Too little Malfoy. Not enough Quidditch (and what was with Harry not playing Quidditch? I'm not sure where JK was going with that, but I can't see where his not playing enhanced the plot.) All of the scenes with Snape were my favourites. The Occlumency scene, Penseive scene. Terrific. Oh, and I also liked HoldenCaufield!Harry. It's about damn time that these books got dark and angsty.

Lol, I'll try for a more coherent response when it's not 11 at night and I'm sleepy. Have just noticed serious lack of sleepy emoticon.
Blaise Zabini
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Cho Chang » Thursday 26 June 2003 5:34:53am

Blaise Zabini wrote:Too little Malfoy. Not enough Quidditch (and what was with Harry not playing Quidditch? I'm not sure where JK was going with that, but I can't see where his not playing enhanced the plot.) All of the scenes with Snape were my favourites. The Occlumency scene, Penseive scene.

In some ways, i agree with you. the fifth book's greatest was the scenes with Snape. especially the pensieve scene. also, i like the scene with Mcgonagall and Umbridge. Where Umbrigde was coughing and Mcgonagall asking her if she needed some throat pills. In some ways, i like how she didn't put Harry playing a lot of Quidditch, i mean after couple books where he kept of playing, i think it would of get boring. (my opinion)

But i disagree with you about Malfoy. I like that, mostly because i hate the Malfoy boy. He's so annoying.

i expected more scenes with Voldemort. i think it would of been more interesting. but oh well, hope the six book comes out soon. :p
Cho Chang
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Fafnul Black » Thursday 26 June 2003 10:15:30am

A good one (after all, it IS an HP book), but no my favourite. As somebody said above, too much of little talk on Luna / Ginny / Michael
Corner and such, which turns out detrimental to the plot.

I agree on the Quidditch matter, although it has some importance in the book. Would be glad to see Harry back, though.

What I really loved where the parts on Fred and George (always :lol: ), the DA group and the angry Harry / restless Sirius. Sure, I like Snape a lot, too, but he did not appeared that much, although I was glad to see his panties :grin:
Fafnul Black
Fourth Year

Postby moony » Thursday 26 June 2003 1:36:44pm

i liked it a lot, tho Prisoner of Azkaban is still my favourite. :grin:

but, i think JK left the Order of Phoenix sort of hanging in the air. the plot is not much of a plot really. voldemort's not actually doing that much (he's been waiting for twelve months, and there i was, thinking the war would start in no time :-? ), tho there are developments in relationships between the characters.
the biggest development is that of harry's character.
but i must say, it's seems kinda sudden. Jo changed harry, and although it took her three years to write it, in 'book-time' it was only two months, so the change does seem to have come a bit too abruptly.
:???:
i'm not sure she managed to pull it off as succesfully as she could've, but i'm glad she did it, it makes the book lot more interesting. harry was never an innocent little baby, after all, voldemort did transfer part of his powers to him when he tried to kill him, and probably some of other parts of his *charming* personality.

the problem of the fift book is the plot is not supposed *surge* forward too sudedenly, coz that wouldn't leave enough material for another two books. but that also means it's not so interesting in terms of plot development, and stuff. that's my opinion, anyway.
i liked it a lot, tho. i like the fact harry is angry, and that she's sort of making him less likable, and in that way more human. he would be quite boring, and i dare say empty, if he were 'a good little boy'. i mean, villains have always been more interesting characters :lol:

sheep
moony
Squib

Postby Scellanis » Thursday 26 June 2003 1:44:17pm

best book i have ever read, it was absoloutly brilliant!!! :grin:
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Thursday 26 June 2003 1:48:42pm

I'll be interested to see if anyone votes that the book 'let them down'. I know some people feel that way (maybe not on this forum), because I've seen various polls and such where people said that. When I say 'disappointed', I don't mean to say that the book was bad, merely that it wasn't what you had hoped for or expected. Keep voting and posting everyone! :D
Lizzy Bennet

Postby Person#11 » Thursday 26 June 2003 2:00:32pm

There are two many who want Malfoy to be one of the three, this book made it clear that that isn't going to happen. THe end wasn't very nice to people who already knew a lot about the books, and had looked into them like a lot of people on this site.

It was my favorite book in the series, it wasn't what I was expecting, it was better. It was darker, and it killed off Sirius. And pushed whiny people like Cho in the dirt. Developement of characters was hindered by Harry's atitude et cetera, in exchange with developing things that were only beginning with book four harry. I don't mind that we stopped halfway developing the characters, like Ginny, and Malfoy for this reason because there are still two more books left over for this.

J.K. Rowling conceived of most of the series when she wrote the first book if she was going to develope a character then she would have done it over the course of the book, I am glad enough that Harry is no longer so uni-dimensional.

And like I said, whereever Malfoy is when the series ends is his character. That's all the dimensions that might ever be revealed to Harry, this isn't Draco Malfoy and the Death Eaters, it's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Person#11
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby HuffleDuck » Thursday 26 June 2003 11:57:29pm

:) :grin: :D I love this book.. IT's my favorite cause it's really long and this time there are no fight among Harry,Ron, and Hermy... This book to my opinion is my favorite so far, and GoF came in second.. and the other 3 r equal..... I just hope book 6 is longer.... and so is book 7.. since 4th is 700+ and 5th is 800+.. i think, i think 6th gonna be 900+ and then 7th gonna be a novel...1000+pgs....I hope it's true though.. I don't mind the book is long at all... I love it when it's long.. The long the better :grin:Cause after 7th she wont be writing about Harry anymore :mad: .. so i hope the book is long so i can reread it.. :grin: :grin: Long live the Weasly Twins 8) 8)
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Postby werebane » Thursday 26 June 2003 11:59:24pm

That book was awsome!! it just had the right amount of everthing to me; the romance the rebellion and the action. it was awsome
werebane
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Malachim » Friday 27 June 2003 12:05:33am

I gave it a good rating. I was very pleased with it until the end. I thought the end was somewhat weak and had hoped for more story advancement. I do however like how dark the book got and the fleshing out of some of the main characters.
Malachim
Second Year

Postby June » Friday 27 June 2003 6:28:46am

Agree with Malachim. I enjoyed the book, was interested in the different new characters, the various antics by the Weasley twins, admired McGonagall and Neville more than ever, and was very happy that the book answered many questions that had been hanging in the air. Still, the ending was a sort of let-down... rather anti-climatic, and Harry's abrupt transition to this fury-like character didn't really endear him to me.

So, all in all, I gave it a good rating, but it's definitely not one of my favourites. =)
June
Lady in White

Postby choki » Friday 27 June 2003 9:40:17am

Order of pheonix is a great book...esp the DA n Weasley twins (rebellious teenagers :grin: )
But Prisoner of Azkaban still remain the top list so far...it has the best unexpected twist
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Next

Return to The Books