10 Questions JKR Will Need to Deal With (Possible Spoilers)

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

10 Questions JKR Will Need to Deal With (Possible Spoilers)

Postby ambrosius » Monday 23 June 2003 4:20:39pm

1. Why do only certain dead folks come back as ghosts? (Nick discusses this topic a bit, but there seems to be a lot more to be said.)

2. Why is Snape not allowed to become the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher? There must be a reason, since the vacancy proved nearly catastrophic in OotP.

3. How will HP be allowed to go anywhere besides Privet Drive and Hogwarts without a substantial bodyguard?

4. How will relations between HP and the Dursleys and between the Dursleys themselves change (if at all)?

5. How will news of his destiny (ie his connection with Voldemort's own destiny) affect HP? (Seems to me he will be drawn to study the Dark Arts in order to better protect himself, just as hearing someone is stalking you with a gun might lead you to buy a gun yourself and do target practice -- a dangerous course.)

6. Will HP eventually feel guilt about not using the 2-way mirror Sirius gave him? (I'm assuming use of it would have allowed HP to ascertain that Sirius was alive and safe, thus preventing the ill-fated trip to the Ministry of Magic.)

7. Will HP and Snape repair their relationship now that HP has a better understanding of Snape's history with HP's family? (related question: why does Dumbledore trust Snape so implicitly?)

8. Per the Sorting Hat's admonition, how will all 4 houses be united, given the rivalries and enmity (esp. with Slytherin)?

9. What is to be done about the apparent political corruption rampant in the Wizarding World? For example, an undersecretary misused Dementors that could have killed not only HP but a Muggle child as well -- certainly grounds for Azkeban. (i.e., are the problems facing the Wizarding World not far larger than Voldemort alone? and, if so, will HP or Hogwarts play a role in cleaning things up?)

10. How will HP deal with the revelations about his father? (I assume we need to hear much more about James and Lily and -- hopefully -- some maturing on James' part. But how will HP cope with what he has learned already?)
ambrosius
Squib

Postby Nothlit » Monday 23 June 2003 5:11:28pm

Well, rather than wait for JKR to answer all of them herself, how bout if we give some of 'em a try? ;)

1. As Nick said, the only people that come back as ghosts are the ones who want to. Apparently they have to do something either before they die or at the moment of their death to set their ghostiness in motion, which Sirius did not do. That's how I understood Nick's explanation, at least...

2. My own personal opinion is that even though Dumbledore trusts Snape, he might not be completely comfortable putting Snape in a position to teach anything directly dealing with the Dark Arts, since Snape was once a Death Eater.

3. I imagine we'll see more of Moody and Tonks in upcoming books...I doubt Harry will be able to go anywhere without some sort of watchful eye on him.

4. I think the Dursleys will hate Harry just as much, but after Moody's threat at the end of OotP, they'll at least let him have a little more free reign. They won't like it, but they're too easily intimidated. ;)

5. I completely agree with you on this one. I worry that Harry might get too wrapped up in himself and his problems and I don't think his "hero complex" will ever go away. I only hope he sees the light before it's too late!

6. I'm really surprised JKR didn't already make a bigger deal out of the mirror than she did. That's the part of Sirius's death that is the most gut-wrenching to me...the fact that it could have all been prevented if Harry hadn't been so stupid about opening that gift.

7. It seems to me that Snape needs to take the first step. The only thing Harry did wrong was that he was born a Potter. Snape needs no other reason to hate him. I would like to think that if Snape ever comes to his senses and starts treating Harry with a little respect, or at least stops completely harrassing him, Harry will not be opposed to doing the same in return.

8. I wonder about this myself...no ideas have popped up yet, though...

9. Yeah, Umbridge did get off pretty easily, didn't she? At least now the wizarding world knows the truth about Voldemort's return, though. I have a feeling this will humble Fudge a little bit and maybe we'll see the government returning to a trustworthy form somewhat on its own. A war like this will probably unify the majority of the wizarding world, anyway.

10. This was one of the most devastating parts of the book. I still wonder if perhaps Snape's memory of the event in the Pensieve wasn't slightly exaggerated, but the fact of the matter is, James was a jerk when he was 15, and Harry's image of his wonderful father has been dimmed a little bit. I think he'll get over it eventually, but it might take quite a bit of internal struggling to do so.

Those are my thoughts. Can't wait to see how JKR answers all these in the next two books. :)
Nothlit
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby ElvenMist » Monday 23 June 2003 6:34:35pm

interesing... i'm not going to directly answer each one, but comment on a bunch of them.

1. why did Myrtle come back as a ghost? it's not like she knew she was going to die before and made the choice to become a ghost. so maybe that's saying that after a person dies they make the choice of whether or not they become a ghost. but Myrtle never mentioned anything about becomimng a ghost when Harry asked her about her death in CoS. so i dunno...

2. i agree with Nothlit. v. convincing reasoning.

5. as for being drawn to the dark arts, i don't think so. Harry's attempt at the Cruciatus curse shows that he could never really turn to the dark arts because he could never really mean it. Sirius' death had a profound effect on him and his rage from that couldn't even cause a proper Cruciatus curse, so what will. it does show, however, that Harry is changing and that his desperation and emotions are having a huge effect on him. i think, though, that he will realize that fighting the dark arts with the dark arts will only reduce himself to the level of Voldie.

okay. i'll read what other people have to say before i come up with any more comments.
ElvenMist
Hufflepuff Chaser

Postby chiapetdiz » Monday 23 June 2003 7:45:19pm

5. I don't think he'll be drawn to the Dark Arts themself, but more towards the Defense Against the Dark Arts (even more). he already said that he wants to be an Auror
chiapetdiz
Second Year

Postby ambrosius » Monday 23 June 2003 8:17:05pm

Re: Dark Arts questions:

2. Bear in mind that nothing prevents Snape ever from studying the Dark Arts (at least not that we know of). He's being barred from teaching and specifically from teaching Defense techniques. Certainly teaching defensive techniques would require understanding the corresponding offensive techniques, but, as I noted above, Snape could study them whenever he felt like. And Dumbledore has been quite clear about his absolute faith in Snape. So I think something other than fear that Snape will be "drawn to the Dark Side" must be driving Dumbledore's decision to reject him for the job. If I had to speculate, I'd guess maybe it's something like Death Eaters (including former Death Eaters) being somehow crippled in their defenses against the Dark Arts -- i.e., lest they become proof against Lord V's own powers. So, while Snape might want to help others resist the Sark Arts, he might actually not be able to be an effective teacher.

5. Re HP being drawn to the Dark Arts, I didn't mean to suggest that he would simply slide down a slippery slope to evil. I meant to suggest that (like Saruman in LOTR), study of the weapons of the enemy can itself be dangerous. And that exposure to the kind of power those weapons can bestow can make choosing correctly in life all the more difficult. We've already seen that HP's father was not always such a nice person. And we've seen HP threaten Dudley D. (not that it wasn't well-deserved -- but it was still mean-spirited and less than I expected from him).

So HP may well have at least the normal amount of resentment and anger in him to make study of the Dark Arts -- even if only to better understand how to defend against them -- dangerous for him. Remember also that the Prophecy may seem to make HP and Voldemort rivals as well as enemies. They are paired for a reason. And the reason is not likely that HP innate goodness balances Voldemort's evil. (HP has already tried to use the cruciatus curse -- perhaps justifiably, tho it's still an unforgivable curse). It's more likely that HP and Voldemort will face the same choices in their lives -- with hopefully different results. (For another HP - LOTR parallel, we've heard Dumbledore tell HP that the pity that spared Pettigrew's life was a good thing -- much as Gandalf told Frodo that the pity that saved Gollum was a good thing. That kind of choice -- pity over revenge, forgiveness over hatred -- will determine how HP will turn out and whether HP's exposure to the Dark Arts will harm him.
ambrosius
Squib

Postby APWBD » Monday 23 June 2003 8:37:27pm

Although I try to avoid these type of comparisons between HP and LOTR, Because JK once said that although she respected the books by JRR tolkein, she wasn't an avid fan, I'm worried that Harry will take on a Frodo complex, and will never get involved with anyone, because he is so isolated from everone else. That's why I really found Sirius' death quite interesting. Rowling took away a person that was close to Harry and Lupin, and no one else. If, say Ron or Hagrid had died, there would be a lot of people mourning with Harry. However, Harry is forced to grieve by himself.
APWBD
Second Year

Postby Claire » Monday 23 June 2003 8:48:27pm

1) I may be wrong, but the impression I got from Nick about this is that, people who are scared to die become ghosts. They specifically want to just stay where they are, so they do.

2) No idea, but I was wondering this myself...

3) Probably won't be able to.

4) I thought that it was interesting that his aunt knew what a dementor was. But that doesn't really answer the question, does it. Probably will stay the same then.

5) I also think he'll be drawn more into Defense, but I think he also may start auror training or something.

6) If he was going to feel guilt, I would think he would have already... but you never know

7) I really hope it does, I was waiting for Harry to go apologize to Snape for his father, but he never did.

8) I'd hate for this to be so, but I think quidditch may be not done this year, because as Hermione said, it seperates the houses...

9) Probably something will be done about it, but I dunno what...

10) I was thinking about that, and I really think he should watch some of Lupin's good memories about his father, because I think that Snape's may be poisened by the fact that he hated James anyways.
Claire
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby ambrosius » Monday 23 June 2003 8:52:37pm

APWBD --

Never let an author's coments on his or her dislikes restrain you from making whatever links, connections, contrasts etc. that you think are valid. Authors are often very poor critics of their own works and only so-so commentators on the writers who have influenced them. Philip Pullman hates Lewis' Narnia books. Yet the episode in The Amber Spyglass where the female scientist is among the rolling creatures (I forget the names) seems to me to owe a great deal to Ransom among the Malacandrians in Out of the Silent Planet.

There are lots of LOTR/HP parallels -- as well there should be. LOTR is a tremendously mythic, powerful book. You needn't be an "avid fan" for it to stick with you and affect you. Authors are the only authority on their conscious intentions; but they are no more authoritative than any of us on their unconscious intentions, which are often the intentions that create the most powerful resonances for us readers. Caveat lector.
ambrosius
Squib

Some answers?

Postby highsorcerer » Monday 23 June 2003 11:58:04pm

1. One reason besides Nick's is that some ghosts may have unfinished business or powerful emotions that cause them to want to stay (Moaning Myrte was determined to stay in order to do some haunting).

2. I think the best reason is that Dumbledore doesn't want him to be DADA. Why? Because of the prophecy, and Snape's background with the Potters. The last thing Dumbledore could afford was to have Potter hate DADA or get substandard treatment in the class because of the teacher. Potions, on the other hand, is a realtively safe place for Snape to nurse his grudge.

3. He won't be. Now that Voldemort is exposed, the guard will probably be extended to Hogsmead visits, Platform 9 3/4, the Hogwart's express, and anywhere else he might possibly go.

4. Two things are going to happen. The Dursley's are going to be forced to treat Harry decently because of the threats made by the OotP. Second, Aunt Petunia knows FAR more that she is telling about the wizard world. She was clearly scared to death when she heard Voldemort was back. She'll be forced to realize that ancient magic is the only thing keeping him and DEs away from the place.

5. Harry will definately take his studies more seriously, particularly DADA (though he's already the best in the school in that subject). Since the OWLS were objectively judged by independent observers, look for him to have grabbed enough at high enough levels to pursue an Auror career, which would include NEWT standard potions training.

6. Yes. He'll also wonder why Sirus didn't mention it during their fire chats.

7. I doubt Harry and Snape will ever like each other. However, Harry missed an opportunity to try and patch things up by not telling Snape he was ashamed of the way his father had treated Snape in school during his look in the pensive. That might soften Snape up somewhat.

8. I think Slytherin is a lost cause. However, the other houses DID show a great deal of unity, particularly in banding together for D.A. I have to think Dumbledore will allow it to continue now that he's in control again. It would serve to boost Harry's confidence and give him a workout in training other students in defense.

9. Fudge is likely to overlook transgressions made during the year he refused to believe Voldemort was back, otherwise it might call for his own resignation. A better question is whether Percy is now willing to give his family an apology, rather than the other way around.

10. One of the hard lessons Harry learned this book was that the people he looked up to were not perfect. His father was way out of line in the pensive, Sirus was reckless, and Dumbledore conceeded his own mistakes regarding telling Harry the truth, and occlumency lessons. He also learned that Snape had good reasons to hate his father. So while Snape is still way out of line in treating Harry like how he wanted to treat James, his anger is better understood. Doubtless there are more incidents like that which caused him to despise the Potters.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby DrkSphere » Tuesday 24 June 2003 12:11:04am

1) I think Nick pretty much expressed it perfectly... if you want to remain a spirit.. like if you don't have any regrets, if you want to tag along.. it's kind of like the wussy way out, if you refuse to go to the next step. I believe it's something in your soul that does this. Sirius, having seen Harry Potter, having fought bravely, and realizing that HP isn't James, wants to be with him, I believe. He also knows he can't help any more, ever, as a spirit, and so his soul was prepared to leave.

2) I believe it's more because of how Snape actually taught DADA, that one day he substituted. Dumbledore knows how harsh of a teacher he is, and doesn't believe he is suited for that specific position. Also, it may be hard to get a potions teacher as good as he is.. he's apparently immaculate at making potions.

3) He won't. Hence the bodyguards everywhere, all the time. If he goes to Hogsmeade, I'm sure Tonks will be there disguised, or something like that.

4) Well, with Dumbledore's houler to Petunia, I think things will slowly change... each book Harry has more and more power of what he can and can't do in the house... and now that they know that the Aunt has some knowledge.. it seems like things might shape up a bit for them. Also in one of JKR's interviews, she mentions that things "start" to go bad for them in book 4... as if they'll continually get worse for the dursleys.

5) Well, I think Harry's pretty much come to terms with that before the prophecy was said, people have been trying to kill him for 5 years, so knowing that someone has to kill him to survive wouldn't be all that much of a shock. However, knowing that *HE* has to kill Voldemort is probably much more upsetting, as he's never killed anyone before.

6) I think the guilt was when he tried, and tossed it and the glass shattered, although I wouldn't be suprised if he puts a picture of sirius in the frame and repairs the glass. I think that there will be a long period of time where he'll try to imagine what advice Sirius will give him through different periods... and I'm pretty sure the line "For Sirius!" will come up in the final fight between Harry and Voldemort. Hopefully it'll be done well, and not with too much cheese.

7) No, I don't think so.. but Harry will at least be more tolerant of Snape. Then again, Snape simply ignoring him is a lot better than it was before. Harry's at the age, though, where I don't see him apologizing to Snape for his parents behavior, or his.

8) I don't think they will, I think that members from each house will get together, but I don't see the whole school rallying together. I don't think that all of Slytherin are EVIL, just... power hungry and selfish. Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle though.. I don't think they'll ever see the bright side of the coin.

9) if Umbridge is caught I'm sure she'll be sent to prison, but remember the Dementors have fled Azkaban, so that prison's pretty useless now. And now that the Ministry has admitted to Voldemort's return, the corruption will die down quite a bit, I think.

10) Well, you have to accept that your parents were right old ba$tards sometimes. ;) I think it'll help him feel better about who he is, knowing that when his dad was his age, he was a prick. It does change things a bit... but he's at the age when you realize your parents don't know everything.. so it's pretty well timed. If he thought his parents were perfect until he was 17 or 18, then it might have caused some more trouble for him.
DrkSphere
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Professor » Monday 7 July 2003 11:41:22pm

2. I don't think it's because Dumbledore doesn't trust Snape or because he's worried that Snape as DaDA teacher will turn off Harry. Don't forget he entrusted Snape with Harry's occlumency lessons. That did not turn out very well, but Dumbledore did not know that would happen. Also, it was no fault of Snape's that occlumency went so poorly. Harry violated his most private thoughts.

Snape is obviously an excellent Potions Master, but he is obviously talented in other areas. I'm sure he would make a good DaDA professor, particularly for defense against deatheaters, considering his history, so I wonder about Dumbledore's reasoning. Perhaps he is concerned that some of Snape's more...aggressive defense techniques should not be taught to Slytherin students. I really can't think of any satisfactory explanation for his refusal to at least let Snape teach DaDA as a temporary post (letting that Umbridge woman get her foot in the door was a colossal mistake).
Professor
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Sacred Guardian » Tuesday 8 July 2003 1:04:59am

good questions, i've been wondering about the answers to some of them too, i don't know why harry didn't at least investigate the mirror, if not used it
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby Gwared » Tuesday 8 July 2003 10:10:23am

Professor wrote:2. I don't think it's because Dumbledore doesn't trust Snape or because he's worried that Snape as DaDA teacher will turn off Harry. Don't forget he entrusted Snape with Harry's occlumency lessons. That did not turn out very well, but Dumbledore did not know that would happen. Also, it was no fault of Snape's that occlumency went so poorly. Harry violated his most private thoughts.

Snape is obviously an excellent Potions Master, but he is obviously talented in other areas. I'm sure he would make a good DaDA professor, particularly for defense against deatheaters, considering his history, so I wonder about Dumbledore's reasoning. Perhaps he is concerned that some of Snape's more...aggressive defense techniques should not be taught to Slytherin students. I really can't think of any satisfactory explanation for his refusal to at least let Snape teach DaDA as a temporary post (letting that Umbridge woman get her foot in the door was a colossal mistake).

My reasoning for DD's relectance to let Snape have the DADA kob is that he knows Harry needs to learn DADA and with Snape as teacher the hate between them could affect his studies and Harry would now be dead!
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby Eol » Saturday 16 August 2003 12:44:20pm

1. JK has already stated that this will play an integral part of the 7th book, although she did mention in an early interview (december 2000 for the scholastic website) that happy people do not return as ghosts--> Moaning Myrtle.
2. I believe JK has already addressed this question in the interview at the Royal Albert Hall: Dumbledore feels that allowing Snape to teach DADA would be too much of a temptation for him, although HighSorceror's idea about this in an earlier post is an excellent one and could very easily be true.
5. JK has stated in the same scholastic interview that i mentioned above that Harry will not be tempted by the dark side, its too Star Warsy
9. I would certainly like to see Umbridge punished for sending dementors after Harry, although that may be overlooked due to the dire situation the country is in at the moment.
Eol
Lightning Bearer

Postby Marcus Baker » Saturday 16 August 2003 2:04:12pm

Ive got one question that i would definatly want answered in the next books:
-What was Harry's O.W.L. scores, and what N.E.W.T. classes will he get into. Will he be able to get into the classes to become an Auror (like me, hehe)???
Marcus Baker
Supreme Auror and Vanquisher of Evil

Next

Return to Theories